What Can Parents Do?
The Redwood PTSA “Be the Influence” Campaign seeks to combat teen alcohol and other drug use in our community.
Parents can take simple steps to help avoid these situations in the future. They are listed in the Parent Pledge and Family Agreement with Student Phone Tree and include the following:
- Host only supervised and actively chaperoned alcohol and drug-free parties or gatherings;
- Call the hosting parent to confirm that the party, gathering or event is supervised and is alcohol and drug-free;
- Welcome calls from other parents whose teens have been invited to your home;
- Not allow anyone who appears to be intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol or other drugs to drive and consider alerting the teen's parents about the situation;
- Take every opportunity to get to know your child’s friends and their parents and gather their contact information through My Redwood Student’s Phone Tree (included in the Family Agreement).
The phone tree will facilitate collection of contact information for your child’s friends and their parents and enable parents to call each other and verify the whereabouts of their teens and/or confirm parental supervision of parties and gatherings.