Archie Williams High School
According to BP 5132, the Board believes that appropriate dress and grooming contribute to a productive learning environment. The Board expects students to give proper attention to personal cleanliness and to wear clothes that are suitable for the school activities in which they participate.
Students have the right to make individual choices from a wide range of clothing and grooming styles, but they must not present a health or safety hazard or a distraction which would issue a shirt for the student to wear or send students home to change if their dress violates any part of the dress guidelines.
· Shoes and shirts must be worn at all times.
· Short-cropped, low-cut and open in back and/or side tops which expose one's stomach, chest, back or sides and extremely short shorts/skirts are not appropriate.
· Underwear should be covered at all times.
· Clothing and jewelry shall be free of writing, pictures, or any other insignia which are obscene, libelous or slanderous, vulgar, profane or which advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice or the use of drugs or alcohol or which so incites students as to create a clear and present danger of the commission of unlawful acts on school premises or the violation of lawful school regulations or the substantial disruption of the orderly operation of the school, as determined by the school site administration. When gangs constitute a danger to students, the superintendent or designee may restrict student dress and grooming as necessary to comply with board policy related to gang activity (BP 5136).
· Annual amendments may be issued by the Assistant principal’s office to provide guidance for students when new fashion trends conflict with this Dress Code. (Added 2013)
DHS Handbook Daily Student Life 8