Drake High School 2017-2018
Course Description: This class will help students develop their English vocabulary, grammar, and academic English language skills. Also, students will develop reading, writing, and speaking skills that will help them to be successful in other classes. Every day we work on developing students’:
Listening: Students will listen to English from native speakers via their teachers and other media. They will also listen to English spoken by their peers. They must focus their attention on the speaker’s message in order to comprehend and produce a meaningful response.
Speaking: Students will have the daily opportunity to practice speaking in structured conversations with their peers. Also, there will be several projects which require the students to present information to the class using their English skills.
Reading: Students will be reading a variety of texts, including short stories, poetry, and books, with guidance and support from their teacher and peers. Students will learn various strategies to help them comprehend text written in English. They will also learn analysis skills necessary to interpret both literature and images.
Writing: Students will be writing on a daily basis in your journal, practicing with grammar worksheets and new vocabulary. They will write a variety of personal narratives, descriptions, reports, poems, and reflections based on the literature.
Grading: Grades will be calculated as follows:
- 20% Speaking, practice speaking English, reading English out loud, speaking presentations
- 20% Reading – reading assigned book(s) and other readings
- 20% Writing – daily journal entries, writing summaries of reading, other writing
- 20% Grammar worksheets
- 20% Participation, behavior, and attendance
CLASS EXPECTATIONS, RULES & NORMS
- You will maintain a student binder that contains all of the assignments, handouts, and homework required for the class. You will be provided a journal for your daily writes.
- No cellphones/earbuds/texting in class. You will have a computer available to you for translations.
- No food. Please finish your lunch or snack before you walk in the door.
- Please have a positive attitude and be respectful to students and the instructor.
- To the best of your ability speak only English while in class.
I look forward to a great year!