JUNIOR FALL MEETING OVERVIEW – STUDENTS & PARENTS
GIVE 100% EFFORT THIS YEAR TO BEING YOUR BEST SELF!!
Dear Junior Students (and Parents):
Today, counselors met with all Juniors in classes for a brief preview/check in on the year. I hope that you will review this information together with your parents and have a follow-up conversation about goals and personal expectations, so that we are all working together as a team.
First, let me say how impressed I was by the level of maturity I see in students compared to frosh year. What a joy to hear you talk about your goals, your futures, and your ability to communicate for yourself as young adults.
Below are a few reminders and points I want to reiterate for discussion with your parents:
· Read the Monthly Newsletter
· Review the Junior Calendar each month. This calendar has important dates and goals to help you maintain balance and sanity
· Review “How to Prepare for the College Application Process” with your parents
· PSAT registration and/or Practice SAT or ACT with Lisa Neumaier. I expect all juniors to take a practice exam. Register at the Drake Store for the PSAT or directly with Lisa Neumaier in the College & Career center for the full length practice exams.
· Transcript Review – Aim HIGH, but maintain BALANCE in life
· Sign up for at least 5 college admission rep visits on Naviance
· Write your goals on paper & review your goals regularly to assess your progress and/or update
· Meet with Mr Davison (School to Career Liaison) for assistance with
o Resume Writing
o Job Shadows or Informational Interviews
· Meet with Ms Neumaier (College/Career Specialist) for assistance with
o Work permits
o Gap year program information
o College visit information
o Financial Aid questions
· Continue to earn college preparatory grades (A/B/C) in each class, so as to ensure the most future opportunity for yourself
If you were absent:
· Your transcript will be sent to you in class later this week
· I have attached a copy of the information printed on the back of all transcripts in case you lost yours
· Go on to Naviance and sign up for college admissions rep visits and add colleges to your list of schools you are thinking about.
Based on the challenges that students shared, here are a few areas where students can use some support:
· Time Management … Balancing academics, athletics and social life. The link to the worksheet can help
· Math Support – Monday/Thursday in Room 126 from 3:20-4:50 pm. Please utilize this time with a real live math teacher to get FREE support
· Assistance from PARENTS on helping to carve out downtime each day so students can unplug & unwind
We will be meeting again in January to begin more in-depth planning (as I must focus on senior college applications this semester). Keep in mind that my main focus from January through December 2017 will be YOU!
Continue to set high standards for yourself and maintain balance. Life is a grand event – make it joyful! If you have any questions or need to chat in the meantime, you know where to find me.Sheila Souder, Counselor
“Satisfaction in life lies in the effort,Not in the attainment;Full effort is full victory.”
Last updated by Sheila R Souder on 9/26/2016.