Students may take either ACT, SAT or both as all colleges will accept either. Not all colleges require admissions tests. For more information, go to www.fairtest.org.
Juniors should begin their college testing in the spring of junior year. In the senior year, students should consider retaking the ACT or SAT in the fall after additional preparation over the summer. Students may also take tests in November and December (check with specific CSU campuses for exceptions).
- All colleges accept either the SAT with Essay or the ACT with Writing.
- We recommend taking the SAT with Essay in March or May or the ACT in April or June.
- SAT Subject Tests, if required or recommended by your colleges, should be taken in June.
- SAT and Subject Tests cannot be taken on the same day. The SAT Subject Tests are not required for admission to the University of California.
- Students may submit scores if they wish to demonstrate academic mastery.
- Competitive majors on some campuses may recommend particular SAT Subject Tests to demonstrate subject proficiency.
- For more information, go to: UC Subject Test Recommendations
The SAT tests reading, writing and language, and math. The ACT tests English, mathematics, reading and science reasoning. We strongly recommend that students take the optional writing test for SAT and ACT.
Please take advantage of the four free score reports that can be sent to colleges at the time of registration or for a few days after the test. Otherwise, there is a fee to send your test scores to colleges. REDWOOD HIGH SCHOOL DOES NOT SEND OFFICIAL TEST SCORES TO COLLEGES. STUDENTS MUST SEND OFFICIAL SCORES THROUGH THE THE COLLEGE BOARD AND ACT WEBSITES.
See your College & Career Specialist for information regarding practice test opportunities.