College & Career Center
Welcome and Overview
Welcome to Drake's College & Career Center!
I am passionate about working with high school students and helping them navigate their post-secondary planning. I have a long history with Drake, one that started years before I began working here. Feel free to learn more by reading my Bio.
In the College & Career Center, students can find current material on hundreds of colleges, gap year programs, and summer opportunities. Additionally, students can access computers to search for information on careers, colleges, scholarships, as well as find community service and job opportunity postings.
For information regarding internships, please see Greg Davison, School to Career Liaison, in the College & Career Center. He is at Drake on Wednesdays and can be reached any day at email@example.com.My hope is that students leave Drake well-prepared and excited to embark on their next journey, no matter where they land. It is also my hope that students embrace the process with confidence and curiosity and enjoy this time rather than succumbing to the pressures that often goes with the college application process. There are thousands of colleges and universities out there, as well as career options and gap year programs to consider. Keep in mind - what might be good for your best friend may not be what's best for you so keep your interests and wishes alive and strong!
Trust your instincts and take the initiative to ask questions so that you can learn about all of your options. I look forward to hearing about your plans and helping in any way I can.Lisa Neumaier, College & Career SpecialistEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Continue applying for outside scholarships!
- Many local scholarships have deadlines in March and April, so check the Naviance list often.
- Check out this scholarship for Seniors planning to pursue Career or Technical Education - deadline to apply is June 15, 2018
- According to the Common Application folks, hundreds of colleges are still accepting applications. Seniors can use the "College Search" tab in their Common App to identify the more than 400 colleges and universities still accepting applications by setting the deadline date as the search criteria.
- If you have been accepted at a college and know that you will not attend, please contact the admission office so they can release your spot. This also applies to schools where you are on waitlists if you are no longer interested in those institutions.
- National Candidate Reply Date is May 1, 2018 - Seniors attending a four-year college or university in the fall must formally notify their college that they are accepting its offer of admission.
Senior Night 2017 - for seniors/senior parents that missed this year's event, please click here for the Power Point presentation.
Click Here for Upcoming College & Career Center Events, including College Admission Representative Visits, Parent Nights, Practice Tests and more . . .
(updated weekly)College & Career Center:.
Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:00pm
Room: 211 (next door to Counseling)Drake's School Code for Testing (aka CEEB code): 052770More than 100 College Reps visit Drake each fall to talk to students about their schools so please attend as many as you can. The information and advice reps provide is priceless!!
Although most visits occur before school, during Tutorial or at lunch, some take place during class time. Regardless of when the visit occurs, students must sign up on Naviance. The email students receive from their counselor after they sign-up is to be used as their pass.Click here to log in to Naviance. Once logged in, click on the colleges tab then click on the view all upcoming college visits link.$$$ Scholarships$$$A list of active scholarships is available on Naviance and updated regularly. The majority of scholarships are for seniors and deadlines vary, but there are also some for younger students.
Sophomores & Juniors -
Check it out
If you missed The New World of College Admission Testing: Insights for the Classes of 2019 & 2020 on December 7, here is a link to the slides used in the presentation and a synopsis of our guest speaker's talking points.Juniors - get a head start on your college essay by attending an Essay Workshop with representatives from Kenyon College, Reed College, and Sarah Lawrence College:May 23, 2018, 6:30-8:00 pm, Drake's Student CenterIf you missed Junior Night on October 3, 2017, here are the presentations from our guest speakers:JC Transfer – California Community Colleges Workshop Information.If you missed this year's Gap Year Fair, click here for general gap year information.
- Continue applying for outside scholarships!