Honors Advanced Algebra Check website each day when the class usually meets.
I will post details on what I will need you to do each day. Have it done for the next day the class would
normally meet. I will have you submit work to me along the way via Google Classroom.
Spring 2020 Unit: Sequences and Series
Please use a Graphing Calculator, you will need it on the test!
TUESDAY/ WEDNESDAY THURSDAY/ FRIDAY Previous Unit test
3/12-13 L67 Recursive Formulas for a Sequence
Read the info above at the top of the website, thanks.
Please turn in your HW Due by Submiting via Google Classroom
L66 Concept Test Select one
watch the video Sierpinski Triangle as a Fractal (a couple of minutes only)
6th period L67 CW Green Discovering Advanced Algebra Textbook Chapter 1. Read Lesson 1.1 P. 30-35 skipping the investigation and take notes and do each of the example problems. Record in your comp booklet and submit to google classroom (see note above) Also please read calculator notes 1B, 1D, 1E to learn how to do this stuff quickly on the graphing calc - handbook link is above ( a real time saver)
Both 1st period and 6th period HW Assn:
L67 HW: P. 36 1-18 all check work here and get ideas on how to solve a problem
3/16/20 L68 Explicit Formulas for Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences
Please turn in L67 HW to Google Classroom. Video Link to help with submitting photos of your work.
email me if you are having a problem
3/17-18 L69 Sequences More Problems
1) Please turn in L68 Notes on Explicit Formulas for Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences (8pts) via Google Classroom. Be sure to hit the submit button. Video Link to help with submitting photos of your work.
2) Please turn in L68 PRactice Problems 1-27 (8pts) via Google Classroom.
3) Do A69
apply recursive formulas. Green Book Do P. 73 1-5 get hints and check work here.
ASSN Big Ideas Textbook Focus on Explicit Formulas Look at the graphs and the summation symbol. For the problem set if it refers to an example in the textbook, look quickly over the example (or study) before doing the problems.
***Click on the page # to open the pdf of that section of the Big Ideas Textbook.
4) Hang in there! Thank you for turning in L67 HW.
email me if you are having a problem
3/19-20 L70 Series CH 9 in Green Discovering Advanced Algebra Textbook. Today's Lesson Focus is on Arithmetic Series
1) Hello, Good news in general as a class you are learning about explicit and recursive formulas for sequences.
2) Please submit your work now from the last lesson to Google Classroom. Be sure your pics are visible and attached if you make a doc.
3) L 70 Title your paper and then Read CH 9 Series P. 515, P. 518 (pay attn to Definition and sigma notation) and most important P. 521. Record info in the two yellow boxes.
4) Next Open up this and look over the additional examples. Record the second formula derived for a partial sum of an arithmetic series. Optional: Print this out and put in your comp booklet or record any info that maybe helpful.
5) Begin the problems. After completing each problem check your answer and work with the solutions. IF it is correct mark it correct (star or C) and then move on. If it is wrong see if you can figure out your mistake. If you can't get help from a peer or email me which problem(s) you struggled with.
Ch 9-1 Do p. 521 1-14 check your work
Problem 12 is trying to derive second on your own. #s 13 and 14 use the second formula (quadratic) we derived for the partial sum. When you know the sum and want to find n the second formula may be best.
We will do more with the sigma notation on Monday. Good Luck!
A sample check in: Ariana, Ty, Franchesca, Daniel, Eric: please email me and let me know if you feel you are learning the math in this unit and any suggestions to improve the process.
3/23/20 L71 Sigma Notation
1) Take photos of your work from L70 Arithmetic Series and turn in to Google Classroom.
2) Watch the video about Sigma Notation which is used when adding up the terms of a sequence (a series).
3) You also need to write a series in Sigma Notation watch how to do this
4) Complete the odd problems in the worksheet. Checking your answers as you go along on last page(s) of worksheet.
6) We will have our first Google Meet this week. (More details to come)
1st period Thursday 9:30- 10:00am
6th period Friday 1:00-1:30pm
3/24-25 L72 Finite Geometric Series
1) Take photos of your work from L71 Sigma Notation and turn in to Google Classroom. email me if you are having difficulties.
2) Title your paper. Consider, What is a geometric series? What is a formula to find the partial sum? Where does it come from? Watch this video (click on it) record formulas and take notes.
3) Open the Big Ideas Link at the top of this unit calendar. Read briefly P. 428 middle of page through example 5.
4) As you use your calc be careful you will need ( ) to group num. and den. or work num and press = then /
(1-r)= then *a=
5) Do Big Ideas P. 430 47-54, 59, 60, 65 correct work as you go along (link at top of this calendar)
6) Do Discovering Advanced Algebra Lesson 9.3 P. 535 2-8, 9a, 10-12 correct work with C or *.
7) Let me know which problem(s) you would like worked out. If you are confused let me know (email).
8) I am canceling our first Google Meet this week.
3/26-27 L73 Infinite Geometric Series
1) Our first Google Meet has been canceled. I will just have to go another weekend without seeing your beautiful faces. Luckily I still have my seating charts!
2) Please take photos of your work from L72 Finite Geometric Series and turn in to Google Classroom. email me if you are having difficulties with submitting work or want a tutorial.
3) Title your paper. Consider: What is an infinite geometric series? How can we tell when an infinite geometric series converges or diverges? How do we find the sum if it exists?
Watch this video (click on it) and take notes. Don't worry about the "slide" that has limits but just watch that slide you will do limits next year.
4) Go to Big Ideas Textbook Lesson 8.4 P. 436 Find and read example 2 (link at top of the calendar) Do P. 439 7-14 check your work with the link above.
5) Do Discovering Advanced Algebra ch 9.2 P. 529 #s 7a,b,d (skip graphs), 4-6, 8, 9 check your work.
L74 3/30/21 Recursive Formulas for Sequences and Series and using the Table Feature in the Graphing Calculator.
1) Turn in your work from the last lesson and please make sure you have clicked all buttons so it is turned in.
2) Watch this video link there is a surprise and follow along with your TI graphing calculator. You can speed it up too.
3) Use the ideas from the video to solve this famous problem.
L75 3/31 Sequences and Series Unit Review
1) Turn in your work from the last lesson and please make sure you have clicked all buttons so it is turned in.
2) Have your formula sheet ready to use.
3) Print out these unit review problems or copy and solve them in your composition notebook. This was last year's test. Check your work along the way to be sure you are doing all necessary work and getting the answers right as Grace did.
4) Optional Help Session on these problems via ZOOM on Wednesday at 2:00pm. I will email you the info via Google CLassroom. Check the Stream.
L76 4/2 Test on Sequences and Series
You have a test
More info to follow
Have your formula sheet ready, graphing calculator, pencil, plain paper preferred,
2020 Spring Semester Unit: Rationals [Related Textbook Big Ideas Text and Solutions]
Add and Subtract Rational Expressions getting a Common Denominator
CW: We went over the examples and did the practice sets following each example set.
Hw 1- 45 odds copy problem and show all work.
2/10/20 L56 More Practice with Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions.
L56 handout back side 47-69 odds; 74, 77, 78, 83-91 copy problem and show all work. L56 Handout of Problems and Answers
2/11-12 L57 Excluded Values for x; Simplify Rational Expressions; Solve Rational Equations by getting a common denominator method.
Notes and Practice
CW Assn P. 396 16-30 evens; P. 388 3-7 odd, 19-26 odd
HW: Lesson 5.8 Logarithmic Functions
P. 303 1-6 Problem #4
2/13-14 L58 Multiply and Divide Rational Expressions, Simplify Complex Fractions
Notes and Practice Big Ideas Ch 7-3 ex 3, 4, 5, 6, P. 387 Exx 6 plus two more problems
L58 CW Big Ideas Textbook see link above P. 380 15-20; 27-34; p. 389 39-44
L58 HW Finish CW assignment and also do Green Textbook CH 8.8 P. 508 1-5, 13 check work here
2/24 L59 Assn CH 8.6 Understanding the graph of f(x)= 1/x and then Transformation Graphing with the Parent Function y=1/x
notes entire period [absent? watch this video first 8:10 minutes only and take notes and show me to make-up the 50 min lesson]
P. 494 1-4, 7, 16-18
2/25-25 L60 The Graphs of Rational Functions
Powerpoint, Dry Erase Boards
2/27-28 L61 Word Problems and Math Models with Direct, Joint, Inverse and Combined Variation Functions.
Opener, Lesson Absent? Open website, read, watch videos, take notes... show me
Handout Practice Problems all answers on last page [Answer to #18 is wrong]
3/2/2020 L62 The Graphs of Rationals More Practice sect 8.7
P. 499 whole class investigation and work through Examples A, B, C on p. 500
Assn: P. 502 1-5, 9-12, #6 no calc, #8 graphing calc
Test a week from Tuesday/Wednesday (learn and know the material)
3/3-4 L63 Solving Rational Inequalities Using a Graphing Approach.
CW: Solve Rational Inequalities - A graphing method (no graphing calcs) subject to change
5 Problems and the solutions
HW: HW Solving Rational Inequalities Graphing Approach Note: #5 does not have a horizontal asymptote so you can use your graphing calc to see the end behavior...
3/5-6 L64 Inverse of a Rational Function, Hole or Asymptote and where is the Hole?, Word Problems
Lesson and Problems Together
HW First Page of handout below
Test Next Tuesday/ Wednesday
3/9 L65 Review and Extend
No Graphing Calc allowed on the test. Please bring a sci calc.
3/10-11 L66 TEST Rationals UNIT
No Graphing Calc allowed on the test. Please bring a sci calc.
HW: Select 1 of the Concept Test Problems of your choice. Do a complete detailed solution on paper that will be turned in (not in your composition notebook. Thank you. Due at the next class.
PS Bring your graphing calc for the entire next unit to class and yeh you get to use it on the test!!
Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
Not yet assigned: Lesson 5.1 P. 255 1, 5c, b, d, 6-10, 14-16 Check work here
1/8/19 Wednesday all classes
L 43 Solve one type of Exponential Equations- get common bases and apply Laws of exponents
Three Examples together, CW handout,
HW: P. 262 Read Example B
DO P. 262 1-6, 9a-f, 10 Solutions
1/9-10 L44 Exponential Growth and Decay Word Problems with Guess n Check or graph approx.
Lesson: video, notes
1/13 L45 Exponential Form and Logarithmic Form
mental math with logs, log base 10 with a calculator, Change of Base Formula for other problems
You can now solve Growth and Decay Word Problems without Guess and Check
Assn: skip #4, #5, #8 on investments
1/14-15 L46 Investments Compounding Quarterly, Monthly, Daily, Continuously, "e"
Do HW handout 4, 5, 8, and add continuous compounding for each case.
HW Lesson 5.6 P. 290 1-3, 5, 6, 7, 10
1/16-17 Change in Plans...
1/20 School Holiday
1/21-22 L48 Are exponential and logarithmic functions inverse functions? How can we check? Explore relevant features...
notes and CW tables, graphs, equations, compositions, find the inverse of a complicated exponential or logarithmic equation.
Hw. Finish handout problems all
L49 Log Properties, Condense to a Single Log, Solve Log Equations
Other: Given two data points write exp math model, find half life...
L49 HW: Lesson 5.7 P. 296 1-5, 8-12
1/27 L50 Transformation Graphing with Exponential and Logarithmic functions also including Inverses.
CW : Handout
HW: Finish Handout all
1/28-29 L51 More Application Problems
e and the natural logarithm 4 applications
1/30-31 L52 Review Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
2/4-5 Test Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
HW Do on graph paper not in booklet. Monte has Strep Throat
Previous Unit CH 3 Linear Models and Systems
8/21 Whole School Theme Day
8/22-23 Lesson 1 (L1) CH 3.2 Revisiting Slope and Linear Equations
Opener, Opening Class Routine, Textbooks, Notes, Practice
Learning Intention: Deepen my understanding of slope, independent and dependent variables, domain and range for Linear Equations
I can find the slope of a line given data points using the slope formula and from a graph using rise and run.
I can describe the real-world meaning of slope using the units of the situation.
Given a linear equation, I can rearrange it to slope intercept form, name the slope, and name the y-intercept.
I will define domain and range and I will state a reasonable domain and range for a situation.
**I will use the solutions link below to check my work marking it right or wrong, revising if I can, and get hints on how to do problems that confuse me.
Practice Set # 1 Read section 3.2 and do P. 134 1-17 skip 15b, 16. Use the provided graphs for #7 and #12, but make your own graph labeling axes with units for #10.
Required: Check work here
Mark off all success criteria that you understand. What do you still need to learn?
Other: Purchase supplies, Open and Read Through the Course Syllabus on the Welcome Page.
8/26 L2 Ch 3.3 Fitting a Line to Data
(1) I can find a line of fit for data that are approximately linear.
(2) I can write the equation of a line in point-slope form.
(3) I can use interpolation and extrapolation.
(4) **I will use the solutions link below to check my work marking it right or wrong, revising if I can, and get hints on how to do problems that confuse me.
L2 Notes includes Co2 in the atmosphere problem Make a scatterplot, as a class select a trend line, find and interpret slope, get equation of line, use equation to predict CO2 in the atmosphere in 2018.
Practice Set #2 P. 141 1-8 do #8 first, use the solutions link to check your work marking it right or wrong, revising if you can and use it to get hints on how to do problems that confuse you.
8/27-28 L3 CH 3.7 Solving Systems of Equations 3 Methods: Substitution, Elimination, Graphing
I can solve a system of equations using substitution and elimination methods. I can verify my answers using a graphing method.
Opener Textbook P. 173 #14 and then #13 (I will do a HW check)
Practice Set 3 Read P. 167 ex A and P. 168 Ex B; Do P. 170 1, 2b, 2e, 3 a,b,d,e; 6, 8, 10, Desmos #11 Check your work Here Please Mark Your Paper
PS Look Ahead you have a quiz.
8/29-30 L4 Solving 3X3 Systems of Equations
QUIZ L1 and L2 Ch 3.2 and 3.3
I can solve a 3 by 3 system using elimination
I can solve a 3 by 3 system using substitution
I can classify a system as inconsistent, consistent, and dependent systems
videos to see and understand types of solutions with a system of 3 equations video
L4 CW Handout (Big Ideas P. 29 Explorations all)
L4 Notes- one example of each: one solution, infinite solutions, no solution
CPrevious Unit CH4 Functions and Transformations to Functions
9/3-4 L5 An Introduction to Functions; Ch 4.2 Function Notation
Opener P. 196 16, 18, 19 (#19 Use set up on back board for your graph and equations)
Lesson 4.2 Power Point and Investigation p. 192
HW: P. 193 1-13 skip #7 and Use Handout for #4
template for prob4 Quiz at next class
9/5-6 L6 CH 4.3 Horizontal and Vertical Translations
Think about will the equation move the parent graph left or right, up or down
Assn L6 Read Box copy to notebook and study the vocabulary... P. 200 Translation of a Function and then do
P. 201-204 #6, 1-5, 11, 13
9/9 L7 4.4 Translations with the Quadratic Family
Opener Read P. 206 Read P. 209 take notes of vertex form of a quadratic with emphasis on only translations (slides)
Do investigation with group "huddle boards"
Guided Practice Dry erase boards: Graph a parabola quickly and precisely given vertex or given equation or given written description
Com Books: Solve two quadratic equations by graphing method and also algebraic method.
Assn: P. 209 10, 1-8, 13 (in this order) Check work Here
9/10-11 L8 4.5 Reflections and the Square Root Family; Intro to Piecewise Functions
Investigation Link Follow step 1-3 on the board. If absent call a friend for the steps.
Lesson including dry erase boards for the graphs of the square root family.
L8 Assn P. 216 exercises 1-12; 15 but skip #9. Check work here
9/12-13 L9 CH 4.6 Dilations and the Absolute Value Family
visuals, then dry erase boards
assn: P. 226 1-5, 7-11 Graphs need to be precise and accurate.
Look up your last quiz score on home access A+ grades. If you have lower than a B you should consider a make-up quiz at the next tutorial. I posted student keys on Lesson 6 so you can start studying now. Thank you mystery students!
9/16 L10 4.7 Transformations and the Circle Family
New Parent Relation: The unit Circle
Assn P. 232 1-8 check work here
9/17-18 L11 4.8 Compositions of Functions
HW P. 240 1-6 & 10-13, 15, 16
9/19-20 L12 Review
9/23 L13 Piecewise Functions
absent? Watch video and take the notes
9/24-25 L14 Test CH 4
Piecewise Functions Handout P. 2 & 3
Key P. 4 &5
9/26-27 Go to next unit
Current Unit CH7 Quadratic Functions
9/26-27 L15 CH 7.2 Equivalent Quadratic Forms
Notes and CW
L15 assn: P. 390 1-5, 7-9, 12-16
When it says check that the two are equivalent by graphing you can do that part on the graphing calc or on Desmos.
9/30 L16 Ch 7.4 Quadratic Formula
Read P. 405 example B Do P. 406 1, 2 (answers first in simple radical form and then as decimal approximations), 3-9, 15
10/1-2 L17 CH 7.3 Completing the Square
P. 116 11-29 odds, 35, 37, 38, 51-54, 60-65, 67-69
10/3-4 L18 CH 7.5 Complex Numbers
L18 CW: opener, guided practice and practice
L18 HW: P. 412 1-4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 14, 16 (test in 1 week) textbook 7_5 solutions
MON or TUES 10/7-8 Blocks L19
Quadratic Inequalities *change in schedule
L19 Handout note problem #1 is different then the problem on the answer key- unfortunate.
WED 10/8 No School
10/10-11 L20 Quadratic Modeling Projectile Motion and Review
L20 Hw Assn
Big Ideas Textbook ch 3 P. 148 1-22
10/15 L22 Test Quadratics
Polynomials Discovery Lesson and CH 7.1 Finite Differences
CH 7 Polynomials of Higher Degree Online Textbook
10/17 L23 Ch 7.6 Write the polynomial function given the graph. Find all x-intercepts and zeros given the equation using factoring and zpp.
opener, guided practice
Assn P. 420 1-4, 6-9, 12, 13
10/21 L24 Write the polynomial of least degree given a graph or zeros. Graph and Label Local min./max. and describe end behavior
opener, Notes, Assn
Probs 1-4: 7_7 solutions
10/22-23 L25 Ch 7.7 Higher Degree Polynomials: Relate the graphs of polynomial equations to the number and types of roots
Team Investigation P. 427 #6
Assn P. 427 7, 8, 10-13 7_7 solutions
10/24-25 L26 More with Graphs of Polynomials and Polynomial Long Division
Guided Lesson including powerpoint...
HW Finish all long Division Problems
M 10/28 No School
10/29 TU Wed No School
No Quiz or Test
10/31 L27 Factoring Difference of Cubes, Sums of Cubes, Factoring Completely when you know a zero, introducing synthetic division, finding all zeros real and complex of a polynomial.
assn P. 184 Big Ideas Textbook
Factor Sum and Difference of CUbes (look for a gcf first): #'s 13-20
#'s 45-50 SHow binomial is a factor using synthetic division, factor polynomial completely, find all zeros real and complex also (a must to earn full credit)
some solutions not all of it
M 11/4 L28 The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, the Rational Root Theorem
- Identify the number of solutions or zeros.
- List possible rational zeros using the p's and q's list
- Use synthetic division to help factor down the polynomial until you get one quadratic factor.
- Factor the quadratic or solve it.
- Write the polynomial in factored form.
- List all zeros and classify them.
L28 CW Notes and examples
11/7 L30 Test Polynomial Unit
End of R2 Grading Period
*Big Ideas Textbook CH5 Rational Exponents and Radical Functions
https://www.bigideasmath.com/tutorial_list.php This site allows you to watch videos on how to do problems in the Big Ideas textbook. The "Example" videos and the "Monitoring Progress" videos are excellent resources if you were absent or you need a reminder on how to do a type of problem.
https://bim.easyaccessmaterials.com/index.php?location_user=cchs This is a site that allows you to view the Big Ideas textbook online. We use "common core high school" Algebra 2.
http://www.bigideasmathsolutions.com/ (select "common core high school" from menu) This is a site that shows step by step how to do each of the odds in the Big Ideas textbook.
Veteran’s Day No School
11/12 L31 CH 5.1 nth Roots and Rational Exponents
L31 HW Big Ideas Textbook see link above
P. 241 11-18, 21-32, 35-44
11/15 L32 Ch 5.2 Properties of Rational Exponents and Radicals
L32 Handout Opener and then Notes (posted soon)
L32 Big Ideas Hw Assn:
Ch 5.2 P. 248 13-32, 49, 50, 57, 58
P. 228 Open Ch 4 Read 4.5 Example a &b do 23-27
11/18 L33 CH 5.3 Graphing Radical Functions Focus on Square Root and Cube Root and Transformation Graphing Skills
Notes and Problems Together
P. 256 1-8, 9-15 odd, 19-24, 41-50, 57, 58 check work here
11/19 L34 CH 5.4 Solving Radical Equations
L34 Notes (copy scanned soon)
HW: Big Ideas see link above
p. 266 4-12 evens, 13, 14-36 evens;
57, 58, 62 & 47-52 solve the system in 2 ways: algebraically and also graphically- show graph in your booklet, label points of intersection and make sure they match with your algebraic solution.
11/21 L35 CH 5.4 Solving Radical Inequalities and Systems
11/26 Thanksgiving Break
11/28 Thanksgiving Break
12/2 L36 Properties of Rational Exponents and Radicals. Simplest Form
12/5-6 L38 Test on current unit
Radicals and Rational Exponents
Bring a Scientific non Graphing Calculator
Review and Extend Concepts to Prepare for the Final Exam Finals Schedule Fall 2019
12/9 L39 Review and Extend Solve Polynomial Inequalites
HW: Final Exam Review Packet Go to Review #3 related to Polynomials and Complete it.
12/10-11 L40 Applications/ Word Problems Polynomial FUnctions
CW Box Problems (absent see me)
HW Final Exam Review Packet #2
12/12-13 L41 Team Final (1/4 th of a test)
HW: Final Exam Packet Review #1
L42 2-4-6 and Tutorials
CW Team Problems
HW Final Exam Review 4
12/17 6 Final Exam (1 Test) and
1- 3- 5-7
1st period: L42 CW Team Problems; HW Final Exam Review 4 Key Review 3 and 4
12/19 TH 1st period Final Exam