Spring Semester 2020
Wednesday January 8th
Welcome Back and Semester Overview
- Unit 3: Data Journalism--We will look at the goals for the next few weeks as we read excerpts from Fast Food Nation and work on opinion articles.
- Final Exam return & Feedback--As you get your exams back, you will review your progress and fill out the survey HERE.
- What happened in the news..and how was it covered?
HW: Finish reading the article we began in class
Thursday, January 9th
News v. Opinion
- How do these commentaries on the news affect your understanding of the stories?
- What role do columnists play in newsrooms?
- What is the purpose of a paper running both?
HW: Data Worksheet [Save this to your folder for Nonfiction.]
Friday, January 10th
What is data journalism?
We will look at how data can become stories with THIS sheet.
What other evidence is there besides data?
HW: Read the Introduction to Fast Food Nation
Monday, January 13th
Eric Schlosser and Fast Food Nation
Schlosser's tactics and strategies
HW: Post 1-2 Opinion article ideas HERE
Tuesday, January 14th
We will learn about the types of evidence to use with your opinion pieces
HW: Read "Walt & Ray" in Fast Food Nation
Thursday, January 16th
First we will confirm opinion piece topics
Then we will identify the type of evidence in "Walt & Ray"
We will use this sheet.
HW: Solidify topic for opinion article
Friday January 17th
Today you will be working on your article by brainstorming evidence for your argument.
HW: Read "Kid Kustomers" (pp. 42-46) and work on opinion article
Monday--Martin Luther King, Jr. Day--Holiday!
Tuesday January 21st--
Discuss "Kid Kustomers"
We will do a short-answer response to a question related to our reading in Fast Food Nation thus far.
HW: Draft of Opinion piece is due in this folder
Thursday January 23rd--Predictions
Can we make arguments based on predictions?
Nate Silver & Predictions:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4zhI9uLs4U (15 min)
How do we use a counter- argument? We will use this sheet.
HW: Read CH. 3, Behind the Counter and peruse cartoons by Tom Fishburne at Marketoonist
Friday January 24th--Guest Speaker: Tom Fishburne
Tom Fishburne, a business cartoonist will talk to us about his work and choice to draw cartoons professionally.