WELCOME TO ADVANCED ALGEBRA Spring 2020
https://www.bigideasmath.com/tutorial_list.php This site allows you to watch videos on how to do problems in our textbook. The "Example" videos and the "Monitoring Progress" videos are excellent resources if you were absent or you need a reminder on how to do a type of problem.
https://bim.easyaccessmaterials.com/index.php?location_user=cchs This is a site that allows you to view the textbook online. We use "common core high school".
http://www.bigideasmathsolutions.com/ (select "common core high school" from menu) This is a site that shows step by step how to do each of the odds in your textbook.
https://www.bigideasmath.com/external/apps/ (you can also go to app store and find bigideasmath, which is a free app)
NEXT TEST DATE: FRIDAY 2/28/2020
Learning Intention: Introduction to Exponential Functions
Practice Set #1 Section 6.1
page 300 # 5-19 odd, 20, 21, 22, 53-60 all
Remember to check your answers with those provided in the back of the book. The answers to the evens will be presented in class.
- I can identify exponential growth and exponential decay from a graph
- I can identify exponential growth and exponential decay from a function
- I can find the percent increase or percent decrease from a exponential function
- I can graph the parent exponential function for growth and decay given y = (b)^x
Learning Intention: Applications of Exponential Functions
Practice Set # 2 Section 6.1 continued
page 300 # 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29-37 odd, 41-45 all
- I can use the compound interest formula in context
- I can convert y = a(b)^(t/c) into y = (1+r)^t or y=(1-r)^t
- I can write an exponential model from a word problem
Learning Intention: The Natural Base e
Practice Set #3 Section 6.2
page 307 # 3-35 odd, 41, 48, 49
- I can simplify Natural Base expressions
- I can Graph Natural Base functions
- I can use the continuously compounding interest formula
- I can compare Natuarl Base mathematical models when given a function and/or a graph
Learning Intention: Introduction to Logarithms
Practice Set # 4 Section 6.3
page 314 # 5-15 odd, 17-24 all, 43-51 odd, and worksheet we completed the odds in class for notes the evens are to be done with the book work.
- I can rewrite a logarithmic equation in exponential form
- I can rewrite an exponential equation in logarithmic form
- I can evaluate a logarithm
- I can solve a logarithmic equation by rewriting in exponential form
- I can find the inverse of a logarithmic function
- I can find the inverse of an exponential function
Learning Intnetion: Logarithmic Functions
- I can use the inverse properties for exponential & logarithmic functions
- I can graph a logarithmic function
Practice Set # 5 - page 315 # 35-41 all, 44-52 even, 55, 57, 59, 60, 71, 72, 75 plus worksheet click here for worksheet and key
The odd answers are in the back of the textbook.
BLOCKDAY 1/15/2020 to 1/16/2020
Learning Intention: Transformations of Logarithmic and Exponential Functions
CLASSWORK Section 6.4 (This is not collected) Required practice set is the worksheet below.
page 322 # 3-7 all, 9, 13, 15, 30, 35-41 odd, 47, 57, 59 Check answers in class.
- I can graph the transformation of an exponential function
- I can graph the transformation of a logarithmic function
- I can describe the transformation of an exponential and logarithmic function
- I can write a rule that represents the transformation of an exponential function
- I can write a rule that represents the transformation of a logarithmic function
- I can find the equation for an asymptote using a transformation
Practice Set # 6 TEST PREPARATION BELOW
Worksheet to help prepare for the test tomorrow. Click here for worksheet and KEY
test on sections 6.1 - 6.3 is tomorrow.
TEST # 1 TODAY
If you did not finish practice set #6 from blockday then finish it for homework. If you did finish it then you have no weekend homework.
MONDAY 1/20/2020 - NO SCHOOL TODAY MLK DAY
Learning Intention: Properties of Logarithms
Practice Set # 7 Section 6.5
page 331 # 13-39 odd, 49, 51, 55
- I can expand a logaritmic expression using the logarithmic properties
- I can condense a logarithmic expression into a single log using the logarithmic properties
- I can use the change of base formula to approximate the value of a logarithmic expressoin
BLOCKDAY 1/22-1/23 2020
Learning Intention: Solving Logarithmic and Exponential Inequalities Graphically with Technology
Practice Set # 8
page 339 # 47-53 odd, 59, 61 (Grahing calculator or Desmos) click here for worksheet to help with structure of p339
and page 331 # 14-40 even (2nd day with properties)
- I can use a graphing calculator (or Desmos) to solve an exponential and logarithmic inequality graphically
- I can use a graphing calculator (or Desmos) to solve an exponential and logarithmic equation
Learning Intention: Solving Logarithmic Equations without technology
Practice Set # 9
page 338 # 5-15 odd, 21-39 odd, 75
- I can solve a logarithmic Equation of the form log( )= number
- I can solve a logarithmic equation of the form log( )=log( )
- I can use logarithmic properties to solve a logarithmic equation
Learning Intention: Using Properties approximations to evaluate logarithms
Practice Set # 10
page# 331 # 3-12 all
page 338 # 6-16 even ,22, 26, 32, 34, 38 click here for answers to evens
- I can use the properties of logarithms to approximate the value of a log without a calculator.
Questions and work time to prepare for test. Part I of test is on Blockday and Part II is on Friday. The part one portion is 10 minutes using a calculator. The part II portion on Friday is no calculator.
Practice Set # 11 click here for worksheet and KEY
Questions (30 minutes)
TEST # 2 TODAY - Calculator Part of test (10 minutes)
WorkTime to prepare for no calculator portion of test on Friday
Practice Set # 12 Worksheet click here for worksheet plus key
TEST 2 TODAY PART 2 - No calculator portion
Practice Set #13 worksheet click here for worksheet and key
Learning Intention: Applications Using Exponential Modeling
Practice Set # 14
- I can model a simple growth or simple decay application
- I can model a continuous growth or continuous decay application
- I can determine the time needed for doubling, half-life, tripling, and other factors of the original amount.
- I can use the Carbon-14 dating equation
Learning Intention: Applications Using Exponential Modeling
Practice Set # 15
- I can use the model y = ae^(kt) and given values to solve for k.
- I can write an exponential model for partial time y = a(b)^(t/c)
Spring 2021 add page 346 lesson in this spot - Add a day.
BLOCKDAY 2/5/2020-2/6/2020 THE BLOCK DAYS ARE REVERSED!
Wednesday 2/5/2020 is Periods 1, 2, 3
Thursday 2/6/2020 is Periods 3, 4, 6, 7
Work Period to Prepare for Test (This is the word problem applications test)
Practice Set # 16 - Two Column Worksheet click here for two column worksheet
Please note that the answers to the problems are on the bottom of each column.
TEST TODAY - Exponential Modeling
Practice Set #17
Learning Intention: Direct Variation & Inverse Variation Models, and writing exponential models from tables.
Practice Set # 18 page 363 # 3-14 all, 15-23 odd, 35, 37, 39 and page 346 # 3-6 all, 7-11 odd, 15
- I can classify an equation as direct variation, inverse variation or neither
- I can classify a table of data as direct variation, inverse variation or neither
- I can write an equation for an inverse variation model
- I can write an equation for an exponential model from a table of values.
- I can identify the type of model from a table of values as linear, quadratic, exponential, inverse variation or neither.
Learning Intention: Multiplying & Dividing Rational Functions
Practice Set # 19
page 380 # 3-19 odd, 27-33 odd, 51, 53
- I can simplify a rational expression
- I can multiply a rational expression
- I can divide a rational expression
BLOCKDAY 2/12/2020 and 2/13/2020
Learning Intention: Adding & Subtracting Rational Expressions and Simplifying Complex Fractions
Practice Set # 20
page 388 # 3-7 odd, 17-25 odd, 39-43 odd
- I can find the LCD for rational expressions
- I can add rational expressions
- I can subtract rational expressions
- I can simplify a complex fraction
Practice Set # 21 click here for packet for break
Learning Intention: Graphing Rational Functions Using Transformations.
Practice Set # 22 page 370 # 3,5,11-17 odd, 21-24 all, 33-39odd (Remember to find the intercepts for your graphs)
- I can graph the parent function y = 1/x
- I can graph a rational function of the form y = 1/x using transformations
- I can rewrite a rational function of the form y = (ax+b)/(cx+d) using long division into the form y = 1/x
Learning Intention: Graphing Rational Functions - Methods without transformations.
Practice Set #23 worksheet
- I can find the coordinates of the hole in the graph of a rational function
- I can find the vertical asymptotes of the graph of a rational function
- I can find the horizontal asymptotes of the graph of a rational function
- I can find the intercepts of the graph of a rational funciton
- I can graph a rational function of the form y = [(x+a)(x+b)]/[(x+a)(x+c)]
No New Lesson - Worktime
PARTNER mini worksheet on graphing
Practice Set # 24 click here for review worksheet to prep for test
TEST #4 Today
Practice Set # 25 worksheet click here for worksheet and key
Learning Intention: Solving Rational Equations
In class practice on new lesson
Practice Set # 26
page 396 # 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 19-29 odd. Page 389 # 39, 40, 41 (use method of clearning denominators)Success Criteria
- I can solve a rational equation by cross multiplying
- I can solve a rational equation by clearing denominators
- I can simplify a complex fraction by clearing denominators
Learning Intention: Rational Functions & Rational Equations & Writing Equation for Exponential Function
Practice Set # 27
page 396 # 37-43 odd, then do 6, 22, 24, 28
page 346 # 3-6 all, 7-11 odd, 15
- I can find the inverse of a rational function
- I can solve a rational equation by clearing the denominator using LCD
- I can write the equation for an exponential model using two points.
BLOCKDAY 3/4/2020-3/5/2020Classwork to turn in before end of class: Page 396 # 12-14all, 33, 34, 45a.Practice Set # 28
Practice Set # 29
WORK PERIOD & HELP TIME
Practice Set # worksheet
Learning Intention: Sequences & Series
Practice Set #30 page 414 # 5, 9, 11, 15, 17,21, 25, 27, 31, 32, 35, 39, 41, 43, 47, 48, 49, 50, 63
- I can write the first six terms of a sequence
- I can describe the pattern of a sequence
- I can write a series in summation notation
- I can find the sum of a series from summation notation
Learning Intention: Arithmetic Sequences & Series
Practice Set #31 page 422 # 3-6all, 14-17 all, 23-26 all, 31-37 odd, 47-50 all
- I can determine is a sequence is arithmetic, and find the common difference
- I can write a rule for the nth term of an arithmetic sequence
- I can write a rule for the nth term of an arithmetic sequence given two terms
- I can find the sum of an arithmetic series