• Dear Families,


    Please email lherberg@tamdistrict to donate a Myschoolbucks account balance or to inquire how to donate funds.  USDA reimbursement for free breakfast and lunch does not provide adequate funding.   Please help us by donating to the food quality fund.  Thank you for your consideration!    


    California Department of Education Funding for 2022-2023- https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/rs/rates2223.asp


    The Department of Student Nutrition Services at Tamalpais Union High School District offers an online prepayment system for depositing money into your student’s school meal account for Summer Meals 2022 and second meals beginning school year 2022-2023. When your child comes to the café for breakfast or lunch, they access their account by scanning their student ID card bar code with our computerized cash register system to receive a meal.  Parents and staff can access the prepayment system at www.myschoolbucks.com.   From there, you’ll create an account using your child’s unique student identification number on their student ID card. This service is easy, convenient, and secure while giving parents the opportunity to deposit money at any time.  You will find complete instructions on the website.


    Charge Policy

    The District does not offer a charge system for the purchase of meals, but allows for pre-payments using the Myschoolbucks online website. www.myschoolbucks.com.  After creating the account using the student ID provided by the school, the guardian can set up a low balance reminder and/or automatic payments once the account reaches a specified amount.  


    If you have any questions about our program or any of our services, please email me at lherberg@tamdistrict.org or call 415-945-1035.


    Thank you,

    Lisa Herberg

    Director, Student Nutrition Services



    Non Descrimination Statement

    In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.  

    Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

    To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: 

    1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture 
      Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 
      1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
      Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; 
    2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or 
    3. email: program.intake@usda.gov.


    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


    Conforme a la Ley Federal de Derechos Civiles y los reglamentos y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de los EE.UU. (USDA, por sus siglas en inglés), se prohíbe que el USDA, sus agencias, oficinas, empleados e instituciones que participen o administren programas del USDA discriminen por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, discapacidad, edad, represalia o venganza por actividades realizadas en el pasado relacionadas a los derechos civiles en algún programa o actividad realizada o financiada por el USDA.

    Las personas con discapacidades que necesiten medios alternativos para la comunicación de la información del programa (por ejemplo, sistema Braille, letras agrandada, cintas de audio, lenguaje de señas americano, etc.), deben ponerse en contacto con la agencia (estatal o local) en la que solicitaron los beneficios. Las personas sordas, con dificultades de audición o discapacidades del habla pueden comunicarse con el USDA por medio del Federal Relay Service [Servicio Federal de Retransmisión] al (800) 877-8339. Además, la información del programa se puede proporcionar en otros idiomas.

    Para presentar una queja de discriminación, complete el Formulario de Queja de Discriminación en el Programa del USDA, (AD-3027) que está disponible en línea en: How to File a Complaint (cómo presentar una queja) y en cualquier oficina del USDA, o escriba una carta dirigida al USDA e incluya en la carta toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Para solicitar una copia del formulario de queja, llame al (866) 632-9992. Envíe su formulario lleno o carta al USDA por:

    1. correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture;
      Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
      1400 Independence Avenue, SW
      Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
    2. fax: (833) 256-1665 o (202) 690-7442
    3.  correo electrónico: program.intake@usda.gov.


    Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.