Students are required to attend school in the district where their parent or guardian resides, unless they obtain an approved Interdistrict Transfer. This link shows which cities are within the Tamalpais High School District (TUHSD) boundaries: Cities in the Tamalpais Union High School District.
TUHSD approves Interdistrict Transfers under exceptional circumstances only. Please read the Board Policy to request a transfer into or out of the Tam District.
Important points to note are:
- Currently enrolled students who move out of the Tam District must file for an Interdistrict transfer one month after moving. Forms are available at your district of residence.
- Students who have applied for an interdistrict transfer and are accepted into one of the Tam District elementary feeder schools in grades K-8, are NOT guaranteed admission to attend high school in the Tam District.
- To file a request for Interdistrict transfer into the District, the student's parent/guardian must first obtain a release from the student's current district of residence. Start with the appropriate form from your district of residence.
- Board Policy 5117 has a limited number of reasons for approval of transfers into the District because of the impact of overcrowding within the District schools.
- Responses to requests for Interdistrict transfer will be provided within 30 calendar days of receiving the request at the TUHSD Office of Superintendent.
- The Superintendent may deny a request for Interdistrict transfer due to overcrowding.
- The Superintendent will deny a transfer, or revoke an existing transfer, if information provided on the transfer request is discovered to be false or fraudulent. Interdistrict transfers may also be revoked for behavior, attendance, or academic deficiencies.
- Appeals to the Board of Trustees for IDT denials will be accepted until January 31 of each year. A request for appeal must be sent in writing, either by email or US mail, to the Superintendent. Requests for appeals will not be granted when transfer requests are received before December 1 or after the December 31 deadline.
- Failure of a parent/guardian to meet timelines for transfer and appeal requests will be deemed an abandonment of the request.
- To request a transfer OUT of the Tam District, please fill out this form and return it to Karmela Cleary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have additional questions regarding the Tam District interdistrict transfer policy, please call Karmela Cleary, Executive Assistant, at (415) 945-1020 or email email@example.com.
INTERDISTRICT TRANSFER FORMS & POLICIES
Interdistrict Transfer Forms must be completed at your District of Residence. Please check with the school district where you live.
If you live in Marin County, please use this form. Spanish version of the Marin County form.
BOARD POLICY/ADMINISTRATIVE REGULATION
- Board Policy 5117 Revised 10-15-19
- AR 5117 Revised 10-15-19- SEE ED Code 46601
If you have questions about the Tamalpais District, our schools, or the district’s transfer policies, please contact:
Office of the Superintendent
Karmela Cleary, Executive Assistant
Ph: (415) 945-1020