Dear Families of the Class of 2020:
Believe it or not, June is fast approaching, and with that comes the celebration of success for our seniors. We wanted to communicate some important information that you should be aware of to help you and your student prepare for graduation.
Seniors will be “ordering” their caps and gowns in the coming weeks. Please remind your student to check their Tam email for the order form from our office. As we continue to work through our financial crunch, we are working diligently to provide your graduate with the same quality of ceremony as in previous years. If so inclined, please donate what you are able in order to help offset the cost for caps and gowns for the class of 2020. A suggested donation of $30 covers the cost of one student’s cap and gown. If you would like to contribute more to support other students, thank you. This donation is completely voluntary. Families that do not donate will still be provided with a cap and gown. Donations can be made at our Tam High Webstore or by check to our budget office. Thank you.
The graduation ceremony will take place on Thursday, June 11th at 6:00 pm on Tam’s football field. Doors will open at 4:30. There are no tickets necessary; there is plenty of seating for all who attend. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Seating for guests with disabilities will be available. Seats may not be reserved, except by district staff for special guests of the district. Umbrellas for shade must be closed during the ceremony please. NO DOGS ALLOWED (service dogs always okay). The ceremony usually lasts approximately 90 minutes. Expect that the parking lots and traffic in the area will be congested and please respect our neighbors driveways and property. We suggest carpooling or ride sharing services. Plan post graduation activities after 7:30pm.
Graduation is sure to be a memorable time for your graduate and family. You will have an option to purchase a professional photo after graduation. Please do not get up during the ceremony to take a photo of your graduate. We will communicate further details about graduation photos at a later date.
Our administrative team will be meeting with the senior class students and addressing some expectations as we head into the last months of school. We will highlight that participation in senior activities (including events such as prom, senior trip and the commencement ceremony) is a privilege earned by being a “Senior in Good Standing”. The following outlines the requirements for being a senior in good standing which allows students to participate in these activities.
- Meet TUHSD graduation requirements.
- Pass ALL classes second semester, earning no grades of F, NM, NC or Incomplete in any class.
- Attend classes - Students who accumulate excessive unexcused absences and/or tardies, including Tutorial, during the 2nd semester, may put their participation in senior activities and/or the graduation ceremony at risk. Excessive = 5 or more.
- Behave appropriately. Suspensions due to a serious offense (such as vandalism, fighting, harassment, or being under the influence of a controlled substance or alcohol) will prevent one’s ability to participate in the ceremony and other senior activities, such as prom, senior picnic, or any other events. This also applies to any involvement in senior pranks or the non school sanctioned “scavenger hunt”.
- Debt free: Return all books, materials and uniforms and pay all outstanding bills. This includes textbooks, library books and athletic equipment.
Appeal Process: Any senior who is in violation of the Senior in Good Standing policy has the option to appeal to their Assistant Principal in writing at least ten days prior to the date of graduation. Depending on the nature of the violation, students will be required to meet with their Assistant Principal or an appeal committee.
Please note these important dates:
March 31 Last day to order Yearbooks
May 23 Junior/Senior Prom at San Francisco City Hall
June 2 Senior Awards Ceremony (6 pm - more information to follow)
June 8 Senior Trip (Location and details TBA soon!)
June 9 Senior Check out (9:30-12 pm)
Mandatory Graduation Rehearsal (12:30-3 pm)
June 10 Senior Activity Day (9:30-12:30)
Mandatory Graduation Rehearsal (12:30-3 pm)
June 11 Senior Breakfast (9am in Student Center)
Graduation Ceremony (6pm at Tam Field. Gates open at 4:30)
Tam High All Night Graduation Celebration (10:30pm - 5am at MVCC)
In the Spirit of Tam Unity,
Your Tamalpais Administrative Team,
J.C. Farr, Principal