Boy's Volleyball Home
The Redwood Boys Varsity Volleyball team competes during the spring season in the Marin County Athletic League, the California Interscholastic Federation North Coast Section, and regional tournaments. The program won the Marin County Athletic League Championship in 3 of the last 6 years (2019, 2017, 2016, 1999, and 1998; No Championships were held in 2020 or 2021 due to the global pandemic.). Visit www.RedwoodVolleyball.com to keep up to date with the latest information.
NorCal Invitational Volleyball Tournament Champions 2023
2023 Team Roster:
- Auden B.
- Beckett S.
- Brody G.
- Charlie G.
- Clay E.
- Erik J.
- Evan W.
- Ford D.
- Gavin A.
- Grady A.
- Graham G.
- Jack A.
- Kyler W.
- Leighton O.
- Lucas A.
- Wyatt M.
- Zeke C.
Redwood Boys Varsity Volleyball will be led by head coach Benjamin Wang and assistant coach Matthew Shewey in 2023.
Ben was a 2-time NCAA National Champion and 4-year varsity letterman at UCLA. He played for UCLA's storied volleyball program under legendary head coach Al Scates. He also served as a student-athlete representative on the UCLA Bruin Athletic Council that advised the UCLA Chancellor and Athletics Director on NCAA policies from the student-athlete perspective. In high school, Ben won a CIF LA City Section Championship while earning All-League and All-City honors and he was named to the Volleyball Monthly Magazine Fab 50 list. Ben has worked for over 25 years in the capital management and technology industries while coaching youth sports at various levels. He has coached club volleyball at Pacific Rim Volleyball Academy and CYO basketball in Marin County.
Matt’s volleyball career started at the club level at age 13 and continued through college. As a 4-year varsity letterman and captain at San Ramon Valley High School, Matt won the NCS State Championship while also earning the MVP Award. In addition, Matt was a 3x 1st Team All-League, 2x 1st Team All Bay Area, EBAL MVP, 2x team MVP and a 6x recipient of the Contra Costa Times and Tri-Valley Herald athlete of the week. After graduating from The University of Arizona, Matt returned to San Ramon Valley as the head varsity volleyball coach taking his team (including his two younger brothers) to the NCS playoffs for consecutive years. Matt has worked in the Commercial Real Estate industry for over 20 years and has been a youth soccer, basketball, baseball and football coach in Marin County.
Primary Contact: Ben Wang: firstname.lastname@example.org
An information session was held during lunch on Thursday, January 26th, 2023. Team tryouts will be held during the week of February 6, 2023. In advance of the team tryouts, multiple open gyms will be held in the offseason and participation is optional. Please join the Redwood Boys Volleyball E-mail List or GroupMe to stay informed.
- Boys Varsity Volleyball -- 2023 Tryouts
Signup Form: https://forms.gle/NRk6gujjUqiMD3nK8
Date: Monday to Friday, February 6 to 10, 2023
Time: 4:00pm to 6:00pm
Place: Redwood High School Small Gym
Details: Please make sure you are REGISTERED AND CLEARED FOR REDWOOD ATHLETICS (see the registration and clearance process on the right side of page here -- https://www.tamdistrict.org/domain/95). You may review some of the information to be discussed at the information session here.
- Players should (1) complete the Tryout Sign-up Form above and (2) ensure they are registered and cleared for athletics before tryouts start.
- Players should arrive and check in each day at the start of the daily tryout. A number will be given to each player.
- Tryouts will be OPEN to all students only on the first day.
- The following tryout days after the first day will be CLOSED to the student numbers listed below.
- Tryouts will include several blocks:
- warm ups
- volleyball drills
- skills challenges
- team play
- speed and jump tests
Please share this information about tryouts with students who may be interested. Contact Coach Ben Wang (email@example.com) with any questions.
- Boys Varsity Volleyball -- Information Session
Date: Thursday, January 26, 2023
Time: 12 noon
Place: Main Gym
Details: A brief overview of the Redwood Volleyball team, tryouts, and questions and answers. You may review some of the information discussed at the information session here.
- Team Calendar (Last Updated on March 2, 2023)
The most up-to-date, official, detailed team calendar is posted here -- https://www.tamdistrict.org/domain/1570
A summary snapshot of the Redwood Volleyball season calendar overlaid on the Redwood school calendar is below. Please note the following:
- 2 weeks off during the school holiday weeks
- February 20-24, 2023
- April 10-14, 2023
- 2 regional tournaments on Saturdays:
- Sacred Heart Tournament in San Francisco -- Saturday, March 4, 2023
- Nor-Cal Tournament in Terra Linda -- Saturday, March 25, 2023
- 6 non-league games/scrimmages
- Northgate (scrimmage) -- Thursday, February 16, 2023
- @ St. Ignatius (non-league game) -- Friday, February 17, 2023
- San Ramon (non-league game) -- Monday, February 27, 2023
- Lowell (non-league game) -- Wednesday, March 1, 2023
- Monte Vista (non-league game) -- Thursday, March 2, 2023
- Sonoma (non-league game) -- Tuesday, March 7, 2023
- 11 MCAL league games
- Post-season competitions
- 2 weeks off during the school holiday weeks
- Competition Schedule
The Redwood Boys Varsity Volleyball regular season competition schedule is listed below. The complete detailed up-to-date schedule can be accessed by clicking on the image below. Please note that additional games, scrimmages, and/or tournaments may still be scheduled and added to the calendar. The iCal link below can also be used to add the team schedule directly into your calendar.
Redwood Boys Volleyball iCal URL:
The Redwood Boys Varsity Volleyball practice schedule begins in February.
- Regular practices run from 4-6pm each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoon.
- Regular practices are held in either Redwood Small Gym or the Redwood Main Gym.
- Special outdoor training sessions on sand or grass volleyball courts may also be planned.
Strength and Conditioning Workouts with the Redwood Athletic Trainer are scheduled for Monday/Wednesday @ 6pm on the following days:
- March 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, 22, 27, 29
- April 3, 5, 17, 19, 24, 26
- May 1, 3, 8, 10, 15, 17
(www.RedwoodVolleyball.com was last updated: 02/14/2023)