Students are required to take freshman and sophomore core English. In the junior yearit is required to take American Literature/Voices. In the senior year, an English electivemay be taken.
- English 1,2 (Freshman)
- English 3,4 (Sophomore)
- American Literature
- World Literature
- Contemporary Literature
- Science Fiction
- Ancient Literature
- Literary Walkabout
- Beginning Journalism
- Advanced Journalism
- AP English Language
- AP English Literature
OUR ENGLISH DEPARTMENT TEACHERS:
- Cathy Sarkisian; AP Literature and Composition. Voice Mail Ext. 4103
- Elizabeth (Chizzie) Brown; English 1/2, English 3/4; Voice Mail Ext. 3487
- Kay Cavan; Galileo English 1/2 and 3/4, AP English Language; Voice Mail Ext. 4423
- Greg Doherty; American Literature, Poetry; ComAcad; Voice Mail Ext. 4344
- Amity Hotchkiss; Literary Walkabout/World Literature, Adv. Journalism; Voice Mail Ext. 4607
- Mary Jane Jones; English 3/4, American Literature; Voice Mail 3432
- Mary Kitchens; ROCK English 1/2, English 3/4, AP English Lang; Voice Mail Ext. 3402
- LoRayne Ortega; Galileo English 1/2 and 3/4, American Lit, AW: Reading
- Diana Winkler; Mobius English 1/2 and 3/4, Psychology; Voice Mail Ext. 4302
Drake English Department Handbook
ROCKSummer Reading Asssignment
- Literary Kicks. This is a page full of information about meaningful writers and more!
- The Classics. This page has nearly 400 Classic Greek and Roman texts in English.
- Banned Books. This page tells which books have been banned, if they are still, and why.
- Fiction. Visit a student-run cooperative which is publishing humanities texts.
- Shakespeare. This is the first page to cover the complete Shakespeare collection.
- The Encyclopedia Mythica. An encyclopedia of mythology, folklore, legends and more.
- Indigenous Peoples' Literature. "Dedicated to the 400 million people who remain unseen and unheard."
- Book Stacks-Author's Pen. This page contains interviews, biographies, bibliographies and much more from many authors.
- Tales of Wonder. This page presents a sampling of the rich storytelling art from all over the world.
- Anne Frank Online. Visit a page with lots of information about Anne Frank and more!
- 21st Century Newspaper by Teens for Teens. At this site, you can learn all about this paper, and some information about how it works.
- Student Journalism. It's UNEWS! A page venturing to create an educational database of student journalism from around the world.