Welcome to the TUHSD athletic web page for 2019-20. We are proud of the athletic program at the District's three schools: Tamalpais, Sir Francis Drake and Redwood High Schools.
The TUHSD 2019-20 athletic program consists of up to 44 teams at each of our comprehensive schools for a total of 2,811 athletes (duplicated) participating on 126 teams. Sometimes, one site offers a level of a particular sport that the others do not depending interest in that sport. Sports participation does not grow in parallel with enrollment growth. Instead, participation may be restricted by the limits on some team sizes and more cuts are inevitable as the schools grow. SEE sports offered each season.
Tamalpais Union High School District teams are members of the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) in the North Coast Section (NCS) of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF). The CIF governs all high school athletics in California.
Athletic administration and coaches uphold the purpose of our Athletic Code of Conduct (AR6145.21) which is to promote the idea of healthy competition and to set standards of good sportsmanship for everyone involved. The District and all of our schools, along with all other MCAL schools, subscribe to the tenets of Pursuing Victory with Honor.
Athletics play an important part in the Tamalpais Union High School District. Young people learn a great deal from their participation in interscholastic athletics. Lessons in sportsmanship, teamwork, competition and how to win and lose gracefully are an integral part of each team in our athletic program. Athletics play an important part, too, in helping the individual student develop a healthy self-concept as well as a healthy body. Athletic competition adds to our school spirit and helps all students - spectators as well as participants - develop pride in their school.
TUHSD COACHES OF THE YEAR:
TUHSD has long recognized the value of the athletic program as an integral part of the educational opportunities given to our students.Without our committed, caring coaches, the athletic program would wither. Including all the head, assistant and volunteer coaches, our Athletic Directors have indicated that there are 70-80 coaches throughout the year at each site.
The Board has authorized each comprehensive school to name an Outstanding Coach of the Year to represent all the dedicated coaches at their school. Criteria for selection of the TUHSD Coaches of the Year include:
- Shows growth and development of the program over time.
- Is knowledgeable about the rules of sport, conditioning and strategy.
- Provides an equal opportunity for all to learn and practice athletic skills.
- Communicates positively with players and parents.
- Maintains consistence with clear goals and expectations for all players.
- Exhibits high standards of sportsmanship.
- Promotes respect for officials, rules and opponents.
- Responsibly meets administrative expectations of coaching.
- Goes the extra mile!
2020 - 2021 Athletic Start Dates
- December 14, 2020 (Cross Country, Football, Field Hockey, Boys Volleyball, Girls Volleyball, Water Polo)
- February 22, 2021 (Soccer)
- March 8, 2020 (Swimming/Diving, Boys and Girls Tennis, and Wrestling)
- March 15, 2020 (Baseball, Basketball, Boys and Girls Golf, Lacrosse, Softball, Track and Field)