OPEN ENROLLMENT TRANSFERSTamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD)Office of the SuperintendentPlease read this important information about the TUHSD open enrollment transfer policy.
To enroll at your school of residence, please go to the Drake, Tam, or Redwood website and follow the instructions for "New Student Registration."
"Open Enrollment" is only for students who want to attend a school within the Tam District that is not their home school.
OPEN ENROLLMENT TRANSFER POLICY (Intra-District)
TUHSD open enrollment transfer policy offers 8th-11th grade students, who reside within the Tamalpais Union High School District boundaries, the opportunity to select their school of attendance.
Before applying for an open enrollment transfer, students and parents are encouraged to visit both their school of residence and their desired school of attendance to make certain their choice is an appropriate one. PLEASE NOTE: Applications for an open enrollment transfer are accepted until June 30, or until the eligible spots are filled. The application for incoming 9th-12th graders (2021-22 school year) is available starting in December 2020.
Students may apply for open enrollment before registering at their home school. If your Open Enrollment request is approved, you may register directly at your school of choice. Open Enrollment transfer confirmations will be available by January 20 to allow you to attend the group registration events at your school of choice.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE IN OPEN ENROLLMENT?
Open enrollment applies only to students residing in the Tamalpais Union High School District.
Open enrollment applies only to the District's three comprehensive high schools - Tamalpais, Drake, and Redwood.
Open enrollment does not apply to the District's two alternative schools - San Andreas (continuation high school) and Tamiscal (independent study high school), or to the District’s alternative program - TEAM.
Students currently enrolled in 8th grade:
1. Eighth grade students residing in one of the TUHSD's ten public elementary feeder districts who want to attend the high school in their attendance area need not participate in open enrollment. These students will be registered through the normal enrollment process and attend the school in their attendance area.
For example, if you reside in Corte Madera and want to attend Redwood, you do not have to participate in open enrollment. You may attend Redwood.
Tamalpais High School Attendance AreaBolinas-Stinson School DistrictMill Valley School DistrictSausalito Marin City School District
Sir Francis Drake High School Attendance AreaLagunitas School District
Nicasio School DistrictRoss Valley School District
Redwood High School Attendance AreaKentfield School DistrictLarkspur Corte Madera School District
Reed Union School DistrictRoss School DistrictStudents residing in the TUHSD who want to attend a District school other than the high school in their attendance area, must participate in the open enrollment process (except as outlined in #2 below).
For example, if you reside in Corte Madera and want to attend Tam High, you must participate in open enrollment.
2. Eighth grade students residing in the TUHS District who attend a public school in one of the TUHS District’s ten elementary feeder districts (other than in their district of residence) may attend either their high school of residence or the high school in the attendance area of their 8th grade school. These students do not have to participate in open enrollment.
For example, if you reside in Tiburon and attend Mill Valley Middle School on an approved interdistrict transfer between the elementary districts, you may attend either Redwood or Tam without participating in open enrollment.
PLEASE NOTE: Students residing in the TUHS District who attend a private school in 8th grade and want to attend a TUHS District school in 9th grade must attend their school of residence unless they apply for, and are granted, an open enrollment transfer.
For example, if you reside in San Anselmo and attend Marin Country Day School in 8th grade, you must attend Drake High School or participate in open enrollment if you wish to attend either Redwood or Tam in 9th grade.
Students currently enrolled in 9th-11th grade:
Students residing in the TUHS District who attend a District school may continue attending that school without participating in open enrollment.
Students residing in the TUHS District who attend a District school but wish to attend a different District school next year must participate in open enrollment.
Students residing outside the TUHS District with an inter-district transfer approved by both the student's district of residence and the TUHS District are eligible to participate in open enrollment.
Ninth-eleventh grade students residing in the TUHS District who currently attend a private high school but wish to attend a TUHS District school next year must attend their high school of residence unless they apply for, and are granted, an open enrollment transfer.
For example, if you reside in San Anselmo and attend Branson in 9th grade but wish to attend a TUHS District school in 10th grade, you must attend Drake High unless you participate in open enrollment.
WHAT ARE THE DISTRICT'S OPEN ENROLLMENT GUIDELINES?
The TUHSD Board of Trustees has established clear open enrollment procedures and timelines which must be followed.
The Board has determined that each comprehensive high school's enrollment may not increase by more than fifty (50) students through the open enrollment process for the 2020 - 2021 school year.
If the number of students who apply for open enrollment transfers to any one school exceeds that school's open enrollment capacity of fifty students, students will be selected to attend that school by a lottery conducted by the Superintendent. Students not selected in the lottery will be placed on a waiting list.
HOW DOES A STUDENT PARTICIPATE IN THE OPEN ENROLLMENT PROCESS?
1. Open enrollment applications (2021-22 school year) will be accepted between January to June 30, 2021. The form will be available online in January 2021 , or you may request one (starting in Jan '21) by contacting email@example.com or in the District Superintendent's Office at (415) 945-1020. Requests will not be processed without a completed application signed by both the student and parent/guardian.
2. Mail the original, completed open enrollment transfer application to the Superintendent’s Office, P.O. Box 605, Larkspur, CA 94977 OR you may email firstname.lastname@example.org or hand-deliver the application to Mary O'Leary in the Superintendent’s Office at the District Office, located near the east parking lot on the Redwood campus. Requests will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis until June 30, 2019, OR until the maximum of 50 spots are filled. Requests received after June 30, 2020 will not be considered.
3. Transfer requests will be approved and students assigned to their school of choice if that school's open enrollment capacity is not exceeded. If applications to a school exceed that school's open enrollment capacity, a lottery will determine who is assigned to that school. A waiting list, also determined by lottery, will be established.
PLEASE NOTE: Since the inception of the open enrollment program, open enrollment transfer requests to any one school have NOT exceeded the fifty student maximum. Therefore, all students requesting open enrollment transfers during the established deadlines, using the procedure set forth by the Board of Trustees, have been assigned to their school of choice. (see page 4, #5)
4. By April 23, students assigned to a school must confirm their attendance at that school. Once confirmed, the student is expected to attend that school.
WHAT OTHER CONSIDERATIONS ARE THERE?
1. Students who decide to participate in open enrollment after the initial deadlines (but before June 30) will be assigned to their school of choice if there is remaining open enrollment capacity at that school, placed on a waiting list in order of application, or assigned to their second school of choice.
2. The open enrollment process closes on June 30. Students on waiting lists must decide to either attend their second school of choice, if applicable, or attend their school of residence. Waiting lists will not carry over to the following school year.
3. PLEASE NOTE: Students residing in the District whose most recent enrollment was in a private high school may either participate in the open enrollment transfer process before June 30 or attend their school of residence.
4. Students who move into the District after June 30 must attend their school of residence.
5. Once accepted to a school, a student may not be displaced from that school and will not have to apply again.
6. Students residing in the District may have their transfer revoked for disciplinary reasons if designated by the Board of Trustees through an expulsion process, by the District's policy on alcohol/drugs second offenses, by the action of a Student Attendance Review Board (SARB), or through placement in an alternative school or program.
7. Students attending school in the District on an inter-district transfer may have their transfer revoked for failing to meet the terms and conditions of the transfer, poor attendance, improper behavior, and/or failing grades.
8. Upon verification, compelling need transfers shall be granted to permit concurrent attendance of siblings at the same District school.
9. No new transportation services shall be provided for open enrollment students. Transportation services are limited to those traditionally provided by the District.To learn more about Tamalpais, Drake, or Redwood High Schools or to receive a copy of the School Accountability Report Card, please visit the school websites.Tamalpais High School: www.tamhigh.org
J. C. Farr, Principal (415) 380-3510High School 1327: www.tamdistrict.org/drake
Liz Seabury, Principal (415) 458-3410
David Sondheim, Principal (415) 945-3620
To learn more about Tamiscal or the Team Program, contact your school counselor, orKim Stiffler, Principal (415) 945-3751To learn more about San Andreas, contact your school counselor orDavid Luongo, Principal, 415-945-3770
To ask a question about open enrollment or inter-district transfers or to obtain copies of forms or policies and procedures, contact:Tamalpais Union High School District
Mary O'Leary, Executive Assistant
(415) 945-1020 Email: email@example.com