COACHES’ CORNER: TUHSD Athletic Philosophy
Athletics play an important part in the Tamalpais Union High School District. Young people learn a great deal from their participation in interscholastic. Lessons in sportsmanship, teamwork, competition and how to win and lose gracefully are an integral part of each team in our athletic program. Athletics play an important part, too, in helping the individual student develop a healthy self-concept as well as a healthy body. Athletic competition adds to our school spirit and helps all students – spectators as well as participants – develop pride in their school.
Objectives of Participation: To provide students opportunities for:
- Physical, mental and emotional growth and development
- Acquisition and development of special skills in activities of each student’s choice
- Team play with the development of such traits as loyalty, cooperation, fair play and other desirable social traits.
- Directed leadership and supervision that stresses self-discipline, responsibility, self-motivation, excellence and the ideals of good sportsmanship that makes for winning and losing graciously.
- A focus of interests on activity programs for the student body.
- Achievement of initial goals as set by the school in general and the student as an individual.
- Provisions for worthy use of leisure time in later life, either as a participant or spectator.
- Participation by the most skilled that will enable those individuals to expand possibilities for future vocational pursuits.
Value Foundation: The cardinal athletic principles and code of ethics reflect the District’s interest in having our student athletes experience a quality athletic program.
This value foundation reflects the District’s interest in having our student athletes experience the joy and satisfaction which comes from winning on the field, but not at the expense of character development, good sportsmanship, physical well-being, positive self-esteem and personal academic success.