TUHSD World Language Department Program Goals
Our students will develop fluency in another language in order to be engaged and sensitive members of the global community. These Program Goals establish the core competencies that our students will master at every level of language in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Students address a wide variety of topics that are age and stage appropriate. As students develop their ability to communicate in the target language, they are able to more fully participate in topics and tasks that increase in complexity.
- Students will develop increasing competence in manipulating multiple components of the language in order to comprehend and communicate successfully.
- Students use the target language both within and beyond the school setting.
- Students participate in multi-lingual communities at home and around the world in a variety of mediums and contexts.
· Students will recognize and be aware of differences, diversity and richness in cultural practices and products among regions and speakers of the target language.
- Students engage in conversations and ask and respond to questions in a variety of mediums and settings to express feelings and emotions, provide and obtain information and express opinions.
- Students understand and interpret diverse written and spoken target language on a variety of topics and in a variety of contexts.
- Students present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of topics in a variety of contexts.
- Students will gain insight about their own culture and language through learning about the cultures and languages of others.
- Students will make connections with and reinforce their knowledge of other areas of study.